Saturday, December 22, 2007

"Old Country Of My Fathers"

A personal search, reaching to a part of my origins and my birthplace in a language that predates English by thousands of years, is this

Yr Anthem Genedlaethol Cymru
(The National Anthem of Wales)

"Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau"
("Old Country of My Fathers")

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi, Gwlad beirdd a chantorion, enwogion o fri

Ei gwrol rhyfelwyr, gwlad garwyr tra mad, Tros ryddid collasant eu gwaed.

Cytgan (Chorus)

Gwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad, Tra mor yn fur I'r bur hoff bau,
O bydded i'r heniaith barhau

(There are another two verses, not sung in this version.)
The anthem is sung before the start of every international game of the Welsh national sport, rugby football. It is a stirring experience to hear the voices of 80,000 people singing in unison with such enthusiasm this beautiful anthem.




The Welsh language lyrics were put into writing by Evan James of Pontypridd and the music by his son James James, sometime during the 1850's. (Note for family members: James is a common Welsh last name so I doubt my maternal grandfather Charles James was related to them in any way).

Very difficult to express in English, a literal translation of the lyrics is approximately:

The old land of my fathers is dear to me,
Land of poets and singers, famous men of renown;
Her brave warriors, very splendid patriots,
For freedom shed their blood.

Nation [or country], Nation, I am true to my Nation.
While the sea [is] a wall to the pure, most loved land,
O may the old language [sc. Cymraeg] endure.


(translation from Wikipedia.com, where you can find also an official English version)

No comments: